mardi 24 février 2009

mr scruff's music takes me up

Greetings! I am Mr. Scruff, DJ, Producer, Cartoonist & Tea Drinker. 
As a DJ, I play across the board, including Soul, Funk, Hip Hop, Jazz, Reggae, Latin, African, Ska, Disco, House, Funk, Breaks, Soundtracks & loads more. I make music that draws on these influences, with a large dose of cheek & good humour. There follows a rambling overview of what i have been up to for the last 20-odd years.

The event that first sparked my curiosity about music was in the early 1980’s when, as a young 2 Tone fan, I discovered a stack of my father’s original Blue Beat 7”s, including several Prince Buster songs that had been covered by my then favourite band, Madness. I suddenly realised that the new music I had been listening to had roots that reached far back, and this knowledge inspired me to explore the wider musical world which had just been revealed to me. 

I encountered mixing as a 12 year old in late 1984, when a friend of mine played me his uncle’s electro records, notably the Streetsounds LP “Crucial Electro Volume 2”. At first, I assumed that the reason for there being no gaps between the songs was to fit more on the vinyl, it didn’t occur to me the mixing was a creative part of the presentation, and had been carefully thought out.  



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire